Bulusan Lake is undoubtedly the most photographed spot in Bulusan for obvious reason. The beauty commands awe. This however makes visitors to the nature park spend more time taking selfies with the lake rather than exploring the vicinity.
As a local the following activities are my suggestions to would be visitors of the lake :
1. Remember that the place is a nature park and it’s teeming with biodiversity. Make use of your camera whatever is at hand and snap away photos of the flora within your reach. For all you know there are species still waiting to be discovered – by you.
2. Hike the perimeter of the lake in a pace of your own liking. The greenery will make you stop once in a while so it is advisable to make the trek earlier preferably in the morning.
3. Watch the fog kiss the lake.
4. Observe the mesmerizing reflection of the water from the lake above the canopies of giant trees with the sun at high noon.
5. Ride a rustic boat instead of the colorful ones for a change and learn to row the one-sided outrigger banca (photo).
6. Cook your meals inside the lake vicinity. I suggest grilled tilapia from the lake, hot rice and kinilaw na pako (fern salad) from edible ferns picked along the forest trail.
7. Camp overnight and listen to the nature acoustic. Record the sound of the unseen rainforest’s creatures nearby.
8. Firefly gaze at night.
9. Butterfly watch in the morning
10. Bird watch. Early morning is best.
11. Snooze during siesta time with the sound of the forest as your lullaby.
Photo: Alma P. Gamil